WE ARE HIRING!
Application Deadline: July 1, 2019
Date Needed: September 30, 2019
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Type of Position: Full-Time
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s
Experience Requirement: 5 years
Nebraska Recycling Council is seeking a passionate and intellectually curious Executive Director to lead its five-year strategic plan crafted in December 2018. Leading a staff of four, an Advisory Council and State Chapter of the US Composting Council, the next Executive Director will focus on program delivery, fund development, brand development, and advocacy.
The new Executive Director will report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to carry out its programs and operations and to further develop Nebraska Recycling Council’s public presence and impact. This position offers a competitive salary with benefits.
All inquiries will be held in strict confidence. Nebraska Recycling Council is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria.
Specific Requirements Include:
- A minimum of five years of progressive experience in leadership and management of nonprofit organizations, with documented ability to strengthen organizational governance.
- Track record in implementing high quality programs in the field of recycling, including ongoing program evaluation and improvement.
- Strong experience working directly with/for a Board of Directors.
- Proven ability to build strong external relationships with a variety of local leaders, public leadership, partner organizations and other stakeholders.
- Ability to lead and implement fundraising initiatives across a spectrum of annual, major and long-term giving methods.
- Strong analytic and strategic-thinking skills, with demonstrated ability to create and implement complex plans.
- Experience developing strategies to successfully increase revenue and diversify funding sources.
- Conversant in concepts surrounding recycling, zero waste, composting, and advocacy.
- Career track record that shows stability with an organization as demonstrated by progressive growth or tenure.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g. Environmental Studies, Management, Nonprofit, etc.) required; Master’s degree preferred.
FULL JOB DESCRIPTION
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the Nebraska Recycling Council ‘s staff, programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. This role will initially develop deep knowledge of the field, core programs, operations, and business plans.
Leadership & Management:
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve strategic goals.
- Actively engage and energize Nebraska Recycling Council volunteers, board members, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio of each committee; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for ongoing local operations and regional partnerships.
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain Nebraska Recycling Council ‘s Advisory Council, Nebraska Chapter US Composting Council, and Recycling Equipment Grants Committee.
- Ensure effective systems to track progress, and regularly evaluate program components, so as to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach: assign accountabilities; set objectives; establish priorities; and monitor and evaluate results.
- Ensure that Nebraska Recycling Council is adhering to the strategic plan, delivering status reports to the board.
Fundraising & Communications:
- Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing program operations.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
- Build and strengthen relationships with current and potential funders.
Planning & New Business:
- Design expansion across the state and for multi-state regional partnerships.
- Build partnerships, establishing relationships with funders, and political and community leaders at each expansion site.
The ED will be thoroughly committed to Nebraska Recycling Council ‘s mission. Specific requirements include:
- Advanced degree in business or public administration with at least 5 years of senior management experience; or 4-year degree with at least a 5-year track record of effectively leading a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff with a similar mission
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Valid Nebraska Driver’s License
- Ability to prepare oral and written reports clearly and concisely
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office products and email platforms