Recycling Equipment Grants
Nebraska Recycling Council administers the Recycling Equipment Grant Program with funding from the Nebraska Environmental Trust. For more than 20 years, this grant has helped build recycling infrastructure across Nebraska by providing the funding needed to create, expand or enhance recycling programs.
Who Can Apply
Any Nebraska organization including schools, municipalities and other government entities, nonprofit organizations and recycling companies are eligible.
If you have any questions, please email [email protected] .
Requirements and Limitations
- Up to $25,000 in equipment can be funded over a two-year period.
- NRC reserves the right to limit simultaneous or overlapping grant requests from an organization’s subsidiaries, divisions, branches, etc.
- Equipment purchased before grant approval is not eligible for funding or to be used as cash match.
- Financing equipment is not eligible for grant funding.
- Providing false or misleading information will disqualify the application.
- Applicants must have a minimum of 2 years in business to be eligible.
- Equipment purchased with these funds must have Nebraska Environmental Trust labels on them and only 25 will be provided by the Trust.
- If you are requesting containers they must be current standardized colors (blue=recycling, green=composting, black=trash).
Eligible Equipment Examples
- Forklifts, skid loaders, balers, trailers, indoor and outdoor recycling bins and carts, lift-gates, dumpsters, trucks, loading ramps, approved recycling labels and signage, compost screeners
- Please use Recycle Across America as example of signage best practices.
- Equipment may be new, used, or in need of refurbishing.
A cash match is required from all grantees. In general, these minimum match amounts are required:
- 20% Nonprofit organizations, schools and government agencies
- 20% Communities with populations of 5,000 or under
- 25% Communities with populations of 5,000 to 10,000
- 30% Communities with populations of 10,000 and above
- 50% For-profit businesses
To Apply for Grant Funding
The deadline for submission of grant applications is the 15th of each month. Typed applications are preferred and digital signatures are acceptable.
Email your completed application and additional documentation to [email protected] .
Other documents to submit with your completed application:
- Bids on equipment are required from two different sellers/vendors IF equipment is valued at $5000 or more. If equipment is valued at less than $5000 please provide one vendor bid. Attach bids to the application email in pdf format.
- Two or more letters of support from partnering entities/communities is strongly encouraged but not required. Providing letters of support will result in a higher score during the evaluation process.
(Application updated February 28, 2023)
Grant applications are scored on a points system, using an Application Scoring Matrix.
The NRC Grant Review Committee and NET staff will review all applications received on a monthly basis. Upon their approval, the applicant will be notified and required to submit to NRC all completed grant reporting forms, agreements and contracts before being reimbursed for the purchase.
IF YOU RECEIVE AN EQUIPMENT GRANT
- Grant recipients are required to use the grant equipment for recycling or composting.
- Equipment must not be sold, leased, traded-in, rented or given to another party without permission from Nebraska Environmental Trust.
- Grant recipients are required to provide 24 months of recycling data (pounds recycled) after obtaining the grant equipment, showing the recycling impact the equipment has made in the grant recipient’s community or business.
- Grant recipients that receive funds for equipment valued at greater than $5,000 are required to maintain insurance for the useful life of the equipment and provide insurance documentation on a yearly basis to NRC.