Thursday, November 1
3:30 – 4:30 p.m.
In 2014, the South Metropolitan Higher Education Consortium (SMHEC) through their sustainability taskforce, brought together community leaders in the Chicago southland region with a simple goal in mind: to link and leverage resources in the region to make the Chicago southland the greenest and most resilient region. Since the first meeting in May 2014, the link and leverage effort has engaged representatives from over 40 municipalities throughout the Cook, Will and Kankakee Counties. This work has strengthened the southland region and created opportunities for the SMHEC region communities that might not have otherwise been realized.
This presentation will address the following:
- What SMHEC is and how did the Sustainability Taskforce begin;
- What the Sustainability Taskforce has achieved for its member institutions;
- How we engaged community leaders to participate in our link and leverage efforts;
- Results of the effort, specifically examples of benefits to non-profits, businesses, municipalities and higher education through new link and leverage partnerships; and,
- How SMHEC is moving forward with our link and leverage efforts.
Stephenie Presseller, Moraine Valley Community College, South Metropolitan Higher Education Consortium (SMHEC) Sustainability Taskforce Chair (See Stephenie’s full bio)